So, I am pregnant and all – and will be for the next 6-7 months. I am reflecting back into my first pregnancy as I remember all of those things that hurt, feel terrible, and the silly things people say to pregnant women. I am hearing it all over and over again! It’s like a broken record, especially since a lot of people seem to never get it!
I can’t blame them TOO much for their statements. Remember the stuff you used to say to pregnant women before you know how it was? Now that you have been there and know how annoying it is, or how degrading that statement actually is to a pregnant woman’s feelings, I can bet you hold your tongue (or I hope you do!).
My first "HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT?" remark came in nearly 3-weeks ago when I was ONLY 6-7 weeks pregnant:
"Wow! You are SO big already!"
This is not something you say to a pregnant woman – EVER, but especially not after her telling you she is ONLY 6-7 weeks pregnant. Am I really THAT big? fat? huge? Should I cutdown on eating already? Sigh! I don’t take it to heart (too much), but as you can see – I will remember her statement likely forever.
- "You look like you are about to pop/burst!"
- "You’re still pregnant?"
- "Your body will never be the same."
- "Are you ready to have this baby?
- "Have you gotten everything done?
- “You’re having a girl? Oh, they’re so much harder than boys…"
- "Are you having twins?
- "Are your feet normally THAT big?
- "How are you feeling?"
- It’s not gonna hurt/it’s not gonna be that bad…"
- "Oh quit yer complaining. What’s the big deal? Women have been doing it for thousands of years. You aren’t the first woman to have a baby, ya know?!"
- . “You’ll never sleep once the baby comes."
- “I never thought you’d get fat!"
- "I can’t believe bathing suit season is right around the corner. I have to get rid of these love handles, right?!"
- "Hey, can you help me move this Saturday?"
- "Did you see how quickly Jessica Alba got her pre-baby body back?"
- "Oh my God, you should totally come with us tonight — you don’t mind being a designated driver, right?"
- "I actually think the extra weight suits you."
- "Bad day? Nothing a piping hot shower can’t fix."
- "Bad day? Let’s forget our worries and get wasted at the bar!"
- "Ahhhhh, I had the best sleep last night."
- "Let’s take the stairs!"
- "Let’s do dinner at the sushi bar tonight – I am craving sushi for days!"
- "My friend’s baby died in the last week of pregnancy."
- "My friend had her baby in the car on the way to the hospital."